The Bluecoat School, Liverpool

The Liverpool Bluecoat School was founded in 1708 as the Liverpool Bluecoat Hospital. In 1875 Henry Willis provided an organ for the School Hall. When the school moved out of Liverpool to Wavertree at the begining of the twentieth century the organ was moved to the new buildings and erected in Shirley Hall.

In 2019 the decision was made to refurbish the hall and the opportunity was taken to include the organ in this project. The organ was removed from the school to our factory and was completely restored. The ill-informed changes and poor repairs by previous builders were also reversed. Many parts of the instrument had been run through an electric planer which had left scars, there had been historic water damage to the keyboards, the Boated Pallets had been done away with and the Trackers and Stickers had been changed for a mix of round, square and sliver section Trackers

The School is lucky to possess two pipe organs, the other being in the school chapel. The school has launched a project called Pipe Up which is to inspire the next generation of organists, to provide organ scholarships and to give the opportunities for young organists to have lessons on the school's two organs as well as the city's two cathedral organs.