Crichton Collegiate Church, Pathhead, Midlothian

Click image for close up

Click Here to show or hide photographs of work to the Soundboards & Bellows

Some details

Crichton Collegiate Church was built in 1449 by William Crichton, the Lord Chancellor of Scotland. The Church (dedicated to St. Mary & St. Kentigern) is just by Crichton Castle, about 10 miles south of Edinburgh and 5 miles away from Rosslyn Chapel. In 1898 the church underwent a major restoration when the oak pews, pulpit, Communion Table and Font were installed with the congregation now facing west. Until this time no organ had been permitted in the church but in 1898 an organ was commissioned from the Glasgow Organ Builder, Joseph Brook & Company. Joseph Brook was eventually taken over by Henry Willis & Sons Ltd in the 1950s.

Henry Willis & Sons were honoured with the contract of bringing this organ back into a good state. The mechanical key actions have been overhauled, the organ cleaned, the Pedal pneumatic action releathered, the Bellows releathered, the hand blowing mechanism re-instated and the soundboards given complete factory treatment.

Back to the Projects

audio file