Holy Trinity Church, Newcastle-under-Lyme.

Click image for close up

Click Here to show or hide photographs of the works in progress

Some details

The Catholic church of Holy Trinity was built in 1833 in the Gothic style and consists of an aisled and clerestoried nave of six bays with a gallery at its west end and a shallow projecting chancel with an east window modelled on a window at York Minster. James Egan, the priest, acted as his own architect and it is said that, having received an offer from a local brickmaker of all the bricks he might require, he designed the church accordingly, including the moulds for the bricks. The result was described at the time as 'the finest modern specimen of ornamental brickwork in the kingdom'. The west front, for which vitreous bricks were used, is particularly striking.

The old organ at Holy Trinity was made up of second hand components from earlier periods and, while having served the church well, was not really adequate for the building. It was discovered that the 1952 Willis organ in a nearby church (St. Peter's Cobridge) had become available and would be ideally suited for moving to Holy Trinity. The Willis has now been removed from Cobridge for complete refurbishment in our factory. The console at Cobridge is not original, having been cut down in height so a period Willis III Gothic Console will replace this, fitted out with the restored Cobridge ivory keys, Pedalboard and ivory Tilting Tablets. A second console has been provided so that the organ may also be played from the West Gallery. The Willis Pitman actions and Membrane actions have been restored and re-leathered as have the bellows. The organ has been divided into two halves so it sits on either side of the West Window in the gallery of Holy Trinity.

The two stop antiphonal organ in the Lady Chapel has been retained for accompanying plainsong or motets. This is playable from the downstairs console.

Specification of the organ

show/hide specifcation of the organ

Back to the Projects

audio file